Search This Blog

Sunday, March 4, 2012

Odd combinations

Some things that shouldn't go together, just do.  Like peanut butter and mayonnaise (hey, don't diss it till you try it--make sure it's Miracle Whip), peanut butter and apples, and Guns and Roses.

Yesterday, I got the opportunity to volunteer at the Food and Wine Experience Expo.  In return, I got free admission to the show.  Boy, was it crowded.  But it's fun to try different wine, tastes from various local restaurants (I had a steamed dumpling sandwich that was to die for), and interesting new gourmet items available locally and online.  Two of the gourmet shops sold things that I would never have thought of, but I highly recommend trying:

Cayenne shortbread by A Gourmet Thyme. http://www.agourmetthymetoo.com/
They say "savory, not sweet."  I'd actually say "sweet with a bit of heat."  I had to buy some of these to share with my wonderful guy.  I gave him without warning him that they have a bit of bite.  The response was something like, "Mmm.  Mmm.  Whoah!  Hey, these are spicy.  Cool!"

Beer and pretzel caramels by Sweet Jules Gifts. http://www.sweetjulesgifts.com/
How can anyone not like home made caramels?  Well, these aren't technically home made, but they taste like it.   I might have considered putting pretzels into caramels, but beer?  It's good, though.

No comments:

Post a Comment