Search This Blog

Thursday, September 1, 2011

Bugged

I've got cobwebs in my car.  Yeah, that's how much I drive it.  There are 3 or 4 strands of it connecting the steering wheel column to the dash.  As I'm driving to pick my farm share vegetables (community supported agriculture is great, by the way--I get my veggies from Nitty Gritty Dirt Farm http://nittygrittydirtfarm.blogspot.com/), I'm pondering the webbing.  It's been there for several weeks, now, but I haven't seen the spider that made them.  So, I wonder if it's dead.  I think about how the spider had entered my car at some point, maybe when I had my door open, and thought "hey, nice place, I'll stick around" (spiders have low standards).  Then the spider begins to make a web, laying down some strands, checking out the new place, and discovering that it's desolate.  The door opens maybe twice a week, and never lets in bugs because the door is almost always opened indoors.  The spider is devastated and gives up on the web, knowing that it's just going to starve anyway.

I feel pretty bad for this spider as I'm driving along.  I feel a bit guilty for advertising my car as a great place to live, even though I probably wasn't even the one that let him in because he probably simply snuck in via the door frame because the door seals are going to hell.  But I'm a tad depressed anyway.

Then I see a mosquito buzzing around in my windshield.  And I feel a little less guilty.

1 comment:

  1. You'll feel even less guilty if you assume (likely correctly) that the spider, terrified of the giant thing-on-two-legs, hid in the nearest place it could find, which happens to be between the seat back and the seat pan. If you drive long enough, it might just bite you.

    Feel better?

    ReplyDelete