Search This Blog

Monday, September 19, 2011

I'm going to miss the cicadas

I've actually been missing them for a little while, already.

The thing about cicadas is that I associate them with the peak of summer, often when the oppressive heat and humidity presses down from every angle and you can't escape except into the air conditioning.  Well, some people think it's oppressive.

I don't.  I bask in high dew points and blazing sun.  I can't stand overly cooled grocery stores and restaurants.

I think I appreciate it so much more because I know that within 6 months, everything will be different.  Instead of inhaling the moisture and letting it circulate in eddies in your lungs, you inhale and ice crystals aggregate on the little hairs in your nose, causing you to cough and sputter if you should try to breathe so deeply.

I really hate being cold, and I know that when I hear the cicadas, I will be warm.  So, I will miss them.

1 comment: