Search This Blog

Thursday, September 15, 2011

Frosty

While it's a bit invigorating to have that snap in the air, it's too early for the weather we've had the past few days.  I can smell the fall in the air, and I can almost taste the way the air is dehumidified by the frost.  I'm not ready for the winter, and the fall always precedes the winter.

Even though it was a roller coaster of a summer, weather-wise, there were certainly some glorious days and I will miss them.  I know that some people absolutely despised the hot humid weather that never seemed to let up in July, but I was in my element.  I managed to get a little bit of a tan and even spent some time in the pool.

Besides being a harbinger of Fall, the bringer of Winter, this early cold snap has put the kabosh on my hopes for a marvelous tomato season.

All these veggies came this week from my CSA,
Nitty Gritty Dirt Farm
(http://nittygrittydirtfarm.blogspot.com/).
I have subscribed to a local CSA (community supported agriculture farm) for the last three years in order to get a fresh supply of organically grown veggies throughout the summer and into fall.  I get all kinds of beautiful veggies, but my greatest excitement is the heirloom tomatoes.  *drool*  Two years ago, I could hardly carry my box of veggies home each week for several weeks because of the tomatoes alone.  Red ones, pink ones, yellow ones, and even green ones.  So sweet and tomato-y.  I finally had to break down and get them all out of the fridge because I couldn't keep up.  I made a tomato sauce with them.  Oh boy was that nice as the snow began to fall and I could put home made tomato sauce into chili and spaghetti.

The last two years have been almost a bust.  The tomatoes have been fantastic, but the pickings slim.


Still, you have to rejoice in a beautiful tomato, no matter how scarce.  

Yes.  It's yellow.
And watermelon.

No comments:

Post a Comment