Search This Blog

Tuesday, September 13, 2011

If looks could...

Make people leave me the hell alone, I would use them all the time.

My mom always told me that I have a look that I give people when I'm particularly perturbed that could peel paint.  I, myself, have never seen it, but it must be somewhat effective because it seems to stop people in their tracks.

The other day after work, I'm waiting for the bus, as I do daily.  As I'm waiting, I am approached by a man saying "can you spare a quarter?  I need to catch a bus to [I have no idea where the fuck he said he wants to go because I've heard these two sentences innumerable times and I know damned well that he's just bothering people for change.]"  I give my standard response "I don't carry any cash."  Usually, that's enough.  And usually, I'm not on the phone.

This time, though, I AM on the phone talking to my mother.  I'm polite enough to respond, placing my hand over the receiver, and talking just loud enough for him to hear.

And this time, it's NOT enough.  The guy asks me again.  I tip my head and glare, then point to the phone, and mouth "seriously?"  The guy's eyes widen and he covers his mouth, makes a gesture of apology, and can't move away fast enough.

I'll have to keep that in my arsenal.

That being said, this guy was just some kid/young adult doing what others do, not because they're mentally ill or homeless, or truly desperate.  I think it's mostly because someone needs to spank them for intentionally taking advantage of the good will of others when they have the ability to provide for themselves.

Not everyone is so "lucky."  There are a lot of people who have taken up harassing commuters and city visitors who need something other than discipline.  These people need support and systemic change.  These are the kind of people that current political trends are trying to sweep under the carpet, pretending they don't exist or that their lives aren't affected by the short-sighted policy lawmakers make.  These are the kind of people who, with one misstep on their part or ours as a society, appear on the streets to make your experience at the opera or a baseball game uncomfortable.

Fortunately, thoughtful policy can help get some, if not many, of these people back into stable lives.  And back out of your hair.  (Proof: http://minnesota.publicradio.org/display/web/2011/03/03/minneapolis-crimes-panhandling/) While the former is more important, the latter is, unfortunately, what most people care about.


So, when you're counting your pennies and asking whether what you spend in taxes is money well spent, if you don't think about the good you can do for that individual suffering from schizophrenia on the street, at least think of the freedom you have from walking in those painfully high-heeled shoes too quickly because you want to get past that dirty-looking panhandler as quickly as possible.

Then, vote accordingly.

No comments:

Post a Comment